Saturday, July 08, 2006

Derision, not Debate

I'm new to this whole blog world. I was looking forward to having a forum, from which I could engage in intelligent debate. Having spent a number of days, reading both liberal and conservative blogs, I'm more than disappointed. I've read really brilliant posts on both sides, but the rebuttal always seems to fall to the level of derision.

Am I naive? I have no doubt...I'm new to all of this. I'm passionate however, about how our country works and would much prefer to engage in honest debate. I live with a contratrian, we debate. Though in principle, we agree on most things, he can always give me a run for my money when raising a political thought. Honest debate, makes us stretch. It forces us to think beyond the sound-bite. It encourages us to think through what we believe in.

In my mind, this is what we need to be doing in Canada right now. Yes, even if it is the summer time..and the living is easy. Complacency is not an option to me.

Now, is always the most important time, and to treat it lightly, is our failure and our foible.

2 comments:

Devin Maxwell said...

KNB:

That's what you get when you put a bunch of political hacks and wonks together. In my view, the fact that we can't have a civil debate is one of the most prominent symptoms of what is wrong with politics in Canada today.

Karen said...

I agree with you Devin. It seems to be at an all time high though and I sense creep from the US and their style of discourse.

Rove/Lutz-"ism's", have taken over rationale debate.

Maybe that will change with a new administration in the States...regardless of which prty wins.

I live in hope!