Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Beyond Ridiculous

The Con's have officially gone off the deep end.

For those of you who do not follow committee meetings I thought I'd let you know that the Con's have been raising a ridiculous motion in many of them, moving that the government will not recognise a carbon tax with a lot of other partisan language, 'a carbon tax will have a devastating effect, blah, blah, it will destroy all industry, blah, blah, blah'.

Today, in the Natural Resources committee it was this joker who moved it,

Bradley Trost from Humboldt, Sask.

Last week at the Finance committee, it was this buffoon,

Dean Del Mastro from Peterborough, On.

I don't know who else specifically moved it in other committees, but apparently it was also raised at Agriculture and Transport, so this is obviously a cross committee campaign.

Is it really possible that the Con's do not realise that they sound and look ridiculous? As they read their motions, they sound like taunting children in a school yard.

These are parliamentarians, who are supposed to be focused on the business of the country, yet they spend all of their time playing games, abusing democracy and treating serious issues like a joke. Who in god's name votes for these people? It's seriously frightening to think that 30% of this country is so ill informed and juvenile that they actually believe these people are qualified to do anything, let alone govern.

Well it's obvious to me that they are worried about Dion's plan and I for one am looking forward to all of this juvenile behaviour to backfire on them in a big way.

Update - The Agriculture committee did adopt an amended motion and 3 Lib's voted to let it pass. Note, they allowed it to pass because it was amended and therefore will study how not to negatively impact the agricultural sector.

Upper-date - In QP, more than once, the Con's twisted the above amendment to suggest that 3 out of 4 Liberals voted against Dion's tax shift.

6 comments:

RuralSandi said...

We've had two different governments here in Canada - Conservative and Liberal and I didn't agree on policies of some, got angry at some and liked some.

I can certainly say, without hesitation, that of all the governments we've had in my time, no matter what political stripe I find the current government the most embarrassing I've ever encountered.

They make me ashamed and embarrassed totally. They make my skin crawl.

Karen said...

I can honestly say that I know exactly how you feel sandi.

I am not being flippant when I say I don't understand how anyone can vote for some of these people. I really mean it.

ottlib said...

The Conservatives are running on fumes.

They have all sorts of ideas but they cannot propose them while they are in a minority government situation because they will turn off too many people.

They have run out of the ideas that are not as offensive so what are they left with?

Not much. So what do governments do when they are bereft of ideas?

They attack and they attack hard. The Paul Martin government did that in 2004 and they were marginally successful. They tried again in 2006 and they failed miserably.

The Stephen Harper government is starting from a much weaker position than Paul Martin so it should be interesting if this attack approach will work for him the first time.

In Stephane Dion the Liberals have an ideas man. As well, they seem to have a man who is willing to put those ideas out there and see what happens.

That could be a recipe for disaster but it could also be one to impress Canadians. We will see.

Anonymous said...

...and yet they have been consistently leading in the polls since the January 2006 election. Must be that Canadians are unenlightened morons. If only they could be as smart as ruralsandi and knb we'd all live happily ever after. Things were so much better under Paul "the ditherer" Martin.

But Canadians can't be trusted to properly cast their vote at election time.

Karen said...

ottlib, fair/good points.

I'm not sure that Martin was bereft of ideas, but I agree that those he held were narrow and difficult to sell with a minority.

My hope is that ideas do sell and Dion changes the mood.

Karen said...

harold, when you learn how to read the polls that your boss has either stagnated in or lost ground, get back to me.

Until then, yes, ye who follow Harper are morons.