Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Over Their Head's...The Media.

I've listened to numerous media reports today that suggest that the release of the Omar Khadr tapes did not garner the desired effect. They say that his lawyers were looking for sympathy but instead they received a backlash.

That's true of course because the BT-like people knew this vid was coming out and they lined up to freep every comment section going.

How long is it going to take for the media in this country to understand that a hyped-up grassroots organisation that follows Harper's law without thinking or question, is skewing comments sections, Green Shift web sites, and on-line polls? (I refer to nonsense polls here.)

Who will have the courage to say, this is what we see, but it's weighted because....?

Don't they realise that reporting these events without context presents a view that is not main stream? Don't they know that without context when they report these faux phenoms, they further skew opinion?

I'm sick to death about the ink right wing columnists get and I'm fed up with the freeping the BT's manage and more than anything, I'm astonished that the MSM do not want to set this record straight. Isn't it to their advantage to do so?

Are they afraid of something? Didn't they, haven't they seen what happened and is still happening in the US? Do they want this here? Do they believe that by speaking out they'll sound 'left'?

I think they are.

How about we approach this in a Canadian way? The 'right' is free to do what they do, but that does not mean it can't be reported on. It doesn't mean you can't tell the full story of why opinion on certain sites shifts.

For the most part, Canadians can figure this stuff out, but the assumption that all can, given the lack of fact, is specious in my view. We are only being exposed to a re-cap of ridiculous events. Analysis of the events is missing. That is not reporting as it was meant to be, imo.

I don't want bias in our media. I want truth and that includes telling us what is going on on all fronts.

Khadr was done an injustice today. Not by his lawyers and not by those who freeped sites. In my view he was ill served by the media that most Canadians depended on to tell them the whole truth.

Where do honesty seekers go now?

Oh and for my right leaning readers, it doesn't get more right than this guy. Kudos to him for calling out the nonsense in his own way.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad day when Canadians are complicit in the torture of a child.....

RuralSandi said...

The International community is horrified.......so much for our reputation.

You know, Harper's son, Ben, is about 12 or 13 now...how would Harper feel about Ben being treated like this?

Harper is one sick human...cold as ice.

Anonymous said...

Until the media changes & acknowledges that the comments are being loaded mostly by one side of the political divide it would help if more of "us", so-to-speak, added our comments. If the BT's of the nation can band together to do this then why can't we? It would help to create a more balanced view.

So why don't we do that? Any thoughts on that, anyone?

wilson said...

''You know, Harper's son, Ben, is about 12 or 13 now...how would Harper feel about Ben being treated like this?

Harper is one sick human...cold as ice.''

How can you compare ANY normal family to this bunch of terrorists?
Do you think Ben would be photographed like this?:

http://dustmybroom.com/content/view/4665/1/

Omar said...

So why don't we do that? Any thoughts on that, anyone?

Look no further than the pathetic theatrics on display at today's ridiculous committee hearings as to why Canadians are so tuned out over the political discourse of this country. We are being governed by complete and utter buffoons and what is on tap to replace them really isn't that much better. The ship of state is adrift and no one really cares.

Karen said...

Indeed cwtf. The same defenders of this often cry that we are in Afghanistan to uphold our committment to human rights.

The problem is, they believe in different levels of being human. Those who count and those who don't.

Karen said...

muslims against sharia, thanks for that.

Karen said...

Sandi, this certainly did get coverage worldwide.

Our historical reputation will not stand up much longer.

Karen said...

penlan, the problem as I see it is that when you do that, you enter into inane debates.

I don't think the balance really shows up because the right just gets screechier.

I understand your point, but I think the Con's in one sense do this in an effort to turn everyone off politics. Their odds are better if Canadians aren't paying attention.

Sadly, I think it's working.

Karen said...

omar, precisely.

Omar said...

I sincerely hope that the Canadians who are paying attention to this train wreck of a government (and who realize like you and I just how despicably inept Harper and his team really is) will do the country a favour and donate what they can to the Liberals. I have been rather grudgingly giving the better part of $100 a month for 14 months now as I feel in my bones any further neocon influence of this nation will harm this nation. My monetary support will not however be extended to a vote for Robert Thibault. I hope he can manage to pull another win out of his hat, but he'll have to do so without my help. So for the people who really care about the state of this nation, open up that internet wallet, and give till it hurts.

Karen said...

I agree Omar. I've been donating too. Maybe I'll do a friendly reminder post every once and a while.

I can't remember. Is it Thibault's social conservatism that doesn't allow you to support him?

Omar said...

I only speculate about his social conservatism. I think his vote for C-484 was appeasement aimed at his staunchly Catholic voting base in the Acadian community. No, my reasons tend to revolve more around the fact that this riding (and Yarmouth in particular) is woefully depressed and should have benefited more from an MP who played a large role in a government that was firmly in power for over a decade. He will be in an uphill battle to win this riding again. Four consecutive mandates is tough for any politician to pull off.

Omar said...

Maybe I'll do a friendly reminder post every once and a while.

I think that is a very good idea. Whenever I read "Liberal" blogs and see the well deserved outrage levelled towards the Conservatives, I think to myself that all the loud mouths better be donating something to the cause.

Karen said...

I'm really quite soft spoken,;), but I will likely follow through with the idea.